How to Start Pigeon Farming Business in Bangladesh
Pigeon Farming Business in Bangladesh
As pigeons are a very popular domestic bird, pigeon farming business is very interesting and profitable. Also, they are considered as the symbol of peace and many people who have facilities, love to raise some pigeon in their home. It does not only require less labor but needs a low investment. Moreover, you also have the option to raise and take care of them during your leisure time.
Because the meat of baby pigeon (squab) is very tasty, nutritious and restorative, squabs also have huge demand and price in the market. Besides, when you’re in pigeon farming it can be a great source of some extra income and entertainment. But, if you follow the modern methods while raising pigeons then you’ll get more profit than the traditional way.
Advantages of Pigeon Farming Business in Bangladesh
Although pigeon farming business has some great benefits you should use modern rearing techniques and take good care of your birds to be successful in this business. Here are some of the main and notable advantages of this business:
- As pigeons are domestic birds, it’s very easy to handle them.
- They start laying eggs from their six months of age.
- You can use the home yard and roof of the house to raise pigeons.
- It needs about 18 days to hatch the eggs.
- Squabs are ready to consume within 4 weeks.
- Pigeon house needs a small place and little investment.
- Their foods are low cost and also they collect food for themselves.
- There are great demands and value in the market as their meat is very tasty and nutritious.
- It needs small capital but provides a maximum profit.
- Comparatively fewer diseases are in pigeons.
- Their feathers are used to make different types of toys.
- They help to keep the environment safe by eating different types of insects.
Steps to Start a Pigeon Farming Business in Bangladesh
As it’s already said pigeons rising are not only a hobby but a good earner as well. If proper care is given then they multiply fast and almost every part of a pigeon has used. Although these all are positive for you to start a pigeon farming business, you must follow some steps to be successful in it. Well, let’s know what the steps are to follow.
More Business Ideas: Top Farming Business Ideas in Bangladesh
First Step: Pigeon Breeds
You might be surprised by learning that there are about three hundred pigeon breeds available around the world. Also, there are two types of pigeon breeds, such as below:
Meat Productive Breeds
- White king,
- Silver king,
- Lokha, etc
- Mukhi etc
Besides, as there is another reason to pigeon farming business is their meat, they have some special breeds. Because the meat of baby pigeon is soft and tasty than the adult one, below some fleshy squab productive pigeon breeds are described below according to their weight:
- White King
- Adult 755 grams
- Squab 500 grams
- Adult 700 grams
- Squab 450 grams
- Adult 730 grams
- Squab 400 grams
- French Mondain
- Adult 750 grams
- Squab 550 grams
- Swiss Mondain
- Adult 800 grams
- Squab 600 grams
Second Step: Housing
For pigeon farming business, housing is a very important factor. Before making a house for your pigeons, keep in mind the following factors:
- Select a higher place to build a pigeon house
- Make sure of air and light inside the house in the flow.
- Avoid the entrance of rainwater directly inside the house.
- Use thin wood or tin, bamboo or with packing boxes to build their house.
- Make a house about 30 cm long, 30 cm high and 30 cm wide space.
- Ensure to have the facilities of staying two pigeons in every room.
- Keep the house adjoining to each other and polyhedral.
- Use a door in every room.
- Keep the house clean and dry.
- Consider keeping water and food near the house etc.
Third Step: Feeding
Because pigeons generally eat wheat, maize, paddy, rice, enamel, legume, Triticum aestivus mustard, gram etc, keep foods in front of their house and they will take the food by themselves. For proper growth, good health and for proper production, you have to serve them balanced feed.
Also, they need a balanced feed that is prepared for the chickens. As pigeon feed should contain 15-16 % protein, every pigeon consumes 35-50 grams of grainy feed daily. Moreover, feed them the oyster shell, limestone, bone powder, salt, greet mixture, mineral mixture etc with their regular feed for the fast growing of baby pigeon and for nutrition of adult. Apart from these, consider feeding them some green vegetables daily. Below is the chart of balanced feed for pigeons:
Broken Wheat: 2.8 kg, Broken Maize: 2.2 k, Mustard: 1.0 kg, Broken Gram: 1.0 kg, Soybean Cake: 0.8 kg, Rice Bran: 1.8 kg and Salt: 0.4 kg.
Feed for the Baby Pigeons: As they take crop milk from their parents’ stomach, baby pigeons (squab) don’t need extra feed for 5-7 days. Besides, in this way for 10 days, male and female pigeon feed their baby pigeons. And then, when they become able to fly they feed themselves on their own. So, you should keep fresh feed and clean water near their house.
Water: Near the house of pigeons, keep water pot so that they can drink and take bath from that water pot. And keep the water pot clean as a daily basis. Also, you must consider trying to serve them a sufficient amount of clean water always.
Fourth Step: Egg Production
During laying period they collect straw and make a small nest and generally male and female pigeon stay in pairs. When female pigeon reaches 5 to 6 months of age, they start laying eggs.
They lay a pair of the egg after every one month and both male and female pigeon hatch the eggs one after another. So, make an artificial nest if needed and they take about 17 to 18 days to hatch the eggs. Although the eggs are very small in size, squab production is very profitable than consuming the eggs.
Fifth Step: Diseases Management
Although pigeons get fewer diseases in comparison with other birds, they usually suffer from TB, paratyphoid, cholera, pox, Newcastle, influenza etc. Apart from these, they also may be suffered from various louse and malnutrition diseases.
Let’s know about remedy methods of some pigeon diseases:
- Keep your pigeons as the way that recommended by the experienced veterinarian.
- Consider vaccination them timely.
- Save them free from worms.
- Maintain their house so that you can keep it clean and germ-free.
- Identify sick pigeons and separate them.